Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, January 23, 2003
The Snowstorm That Almost Wasn't

When folks start talking about snow down here you usually don't believe them. Some wretched tropical wind from Florida usually shows up and the predicted precipitation shows up in the form of achingly cold rain. So when they mentioned flurries last night, I wasn't impressed.

Interesting, I noted, when they talked about bad traffic conditions on this morning's news. It really had snowed, a scant inch, if that much, since the grass in places was still poking from out of the whiteness. The streets looked clean, so off I went--or rather I tried to, because oddly while the side streets were clear, the main artery out of the neighborhood could have doubled as the local skating rink.

I fractured an elbow years ago learning to skate. I doubt if "Tucker," even on four wheels, is anywhere more ept. I went back home at least until it was light out. If I got rear-ended I wanted to be able to see who hit me...

It was only when they began talking in depth about the storm about 9 a.m. did they start mentioning how localized it was, with our county as one of the affected places. I'll say. Three miles from home the only snow was a white edging on the interface between grass and sidewalk. Once I reached the freeway proper, a distance of five miles, there was not a lick of snow to be seen!

It is, for Georgia, hellishly cold. At 11 a.m. it was still 19 degrees F, 4 degrees with the wind chill. As someone who remembers walking to school on a -10 day back when girls weren't allowed to wear pants, I gotta admit...4 degrees is still damn cold!