Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Friday, January 31, 2003
Friday Five

1. As a child, who was your favorite superhero/heroine? Why?

Lassie. I sure thought she was a super hero when I was a kid. Anyone with brains knew real dogs weren't like Lassie, so she really was something special. But the best thing about her was that she was a good friend. You could tell her all your secrets and your hopes and she would never tell anyone else.

If you must have comic book superheroes, though, I guess Superman. He was the only one I knew because of the old George Reeves TV series. The only comic books I was interested in when I was a kid were the Dell ones that published the Disney movie stories (or TV stuff like Gallegher) and Lassie. Most of the stores we lived near did not have a good selection of comic books, only five or six titles at the time. Mom didn't hate comic books, but if I wanted to read, she preferred I have books, though.

The funny thing? I preferred Clark Kent to Superman.

2. What was one thing you always wanted as a child but never got?

More books. :-)

Seriously, Tinkertoys and Lego blocks. My aunts said they were boys' toys and girls weren't supposed to play with them. My dad always listened to his sisters, unfortunately. Also, when my Aunty Lisa was a little girl, she really did poke her eye out with a stick like your parents always warn you about. She has one blind eye to this day. So Tinkertoys weren't allowed in the house.

3. What's the furthest from home you've been?

In or out of the country? In--California. My parents and I drove cross-country twice. What a blast! Out-- Toronto. We went to Canada's Wonderland.

4. What's one thing you've always wanted to learn but haven't yet?

Actually, I do know how to do it minimally, I've just never gone on with it. In 1966, the Hammond Organ Company donated organs to fifth grade classes (don't know if that was just in our area or all over the country or selected places). We all learned to play the organ and had a recital at the end of the year. I used to love practicing on my own. I learned how to fiddle with the stops--this was a real organ, not a keyboard!--so that the organ sounded like a harpsichord. Part of me has always wanted to go on with that. Every time I go by one of those cool Casio keyboards in Sam's Club or Costco I get a little twinge. And then I stop and think--what if I just let it sit around? Sigh. So much to do, so much of it devoted to earning a living...

5. What are your plans for the weekend?

Buying insulation to wrap the pipe that we just had fixed that burst last Friday. (That lived in the house that Jack built. LOL.) James is going to a hobby show. I'd like to go to Discover Mills. We haven't been in a year.