Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, December 05, 2002
Thursday Threesome

Onesome: Free Do you watch the ads for "Buy this and get this trinket free" just so you can get that second gift? ...and then wonder what to do with the first one?

A couple of weeks ago I would have said “never,” and it will won’t become a habit. Now, I’ve bought one item that came with a freebie, but only if I wanted the original item in the first place, and could do something with the freebie. However, recently I did find a Windham Hill double CD at Costco which had a Christmas album I had just purchased along with a sampler album I did not have and which was not available in the store. Since the package was less than the cost of a single CD at any other store, I bought it for the freebie and sent the duplicate along to my mom with her Christmas gift, a CD player. She likes pretty music.

Twosome: Gift How the heck figure do you figure out how to buy gifts for family members? You know, the ones with no list who say, "Oh, whatever..."

I usually keep track of what they enjoy. For the couple of folks that I don’t know what they do want, I give them a gift card to a store I know they like.

Threesome: Wrapping Are you a wrapping maven? ..or are are you wrappingly challenged? Who does the gift wrapping around your place anyway?

I’m a good wrapper, although I’m no Martha Stewart with the furbelows. Why gussie up a package so well that it’s a shame to rip the wrapping? I end up wrapping all the gifts. “The Mister,” who can put an entire computer together and make it work, and install the tiniest plastic model airplane parts you’ve ever seen, is all thumbs when it comes to making wrapping paper corners! Gift bags were made for him. :-)

Thursday Threesome is also hosting a Santa discussion, including “when do you do your Christmas shopping?” All year round, thank you. I have bought gifts for people for the following year on Christmas Eve. I sincerely hope I know most of what my family and friends like and buy accordingly. (I’ve missed out. I’ve seen books I’ve given get traded away, things like that. It’s okay. Sometimes you just miss.) I’m always on the lookout for nice things; they go upstairs in the “Christmas box” until it’s time to come out again. Sometimes it’s just best to buy the magic gift card. Then they can buy what they like instead of what you might have guessed was correct.