Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, October 17, 2002
Slow and Steady Doesn't Always Win the Race...

Our friend Jerry over at Milblog (see link at left) recommended a small, free computer program called the Belarc Advisor, which tells you all about your personal computer's system. James loaded it and was impressed, so when he finished online I got on and among the various things I did was download and install this little "gadget."

A few months ago MicroCenter had a wonderful sale, and I bought, for the heck of it, a DVD player for the computer. At the time, I had only an 8Mb video card, which James advised me was too slow to keep up with a DVD player. If you've read the earlier epic of the new hard disks, you might have noted I now have a 32Mb video card.

The DVD, when installed, worked fine as far as it can work...but the picture and sound are jerky and don't synch to each other. James figured my processor, at 200MHz, was just too darn slow.

After running Belarc, it's evident why the DVD player doesn't work. The processor isn't even 200MHz, it's 150!

Yeah, this means I'm on the lookout for a new processor, if I can find a nice speedy Socket 7...