Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Tuesday, September 03, 2002
Late Update: Dragoncon, Day 4

Something odd happened over the weekend, which I'm wondering had anything to do why I'm home today feeling as if I'm about to cough a lung up.

Friday night on the way home we stopped at the QT gas station on Austell Road for a Marietta Daily Journal (they'd done an article in which ARTC was featured). The moment we stopped there, my nose swelled up and I sneezed.

It went away when we got home, but I awoke on Saturday with a sore throat. This happens often due to my allergy because of a stuffy nose. Once I had a drink and breakfast the soreness vanished. This also happened Sunday morning.

We were leaving Sunday night and I was thinking to myself how good I'd felt over the weekend. Three days away from the stuffiness and fluorescent lights at work had worked wonders. I felt lively and had energy and was quite happy.

We stopped at the QT on the way home for a Sunday paper and once again the odd stuffiness and sneezing began. There must be something in the area, we thought, that I was allegic to. And boy did it do a number on me this time! I sniffled throughout the night and didn't sleep well. I was still stuffy when we set out for our last day at the convention. It still appeared to be my allergy as, when we drove past the QT, I began to sneeze again.

We spent an enjoyable morning watch the Babylon 5 reunion panel. Both Julie Caitlin Brown and David Allan Brooks came in late due to having a great time at the previous night's Jefferson Starship concert. As on a previous B5 panel, the cast was in rare form egging each other on.

I was feeling a bit worn out, but still attended the Doctor Who panel about the future of the series. They had a small trivia test and I received a season nine Who booklet for answering correctly the question "What is Ace's real name?" (Dorothy.)

James went on for another stroll of the Dealer's Room, but I decided just to stay behind and listen to the Harry Potter Books v. Movie panel. This was lively as one panelist was definitely not a fan of Chris Columbus, the director of the movie. James, sweet thing, came back with a watermelon cup for me.

Our last panel was the Blake's 7 one I had been wanting to see, as B7 is generally ignored at recent conventions. It was, sadly, sparsely attended, but it was a Monday afternoon. Many people had already left the convention.

Unfortunately by the time we got back upstairs registration had already closed, so we couldn't buy memberships for next year.

It was very obvious by now this was more than an allergy problem, so James and I went home so I could nurse whatever it was. It turned out I had a low-grade fever as well, and the stuffiness progressed and a cough appeared as the night went on. I didn't fall asleep until about 4 a.m. this morning. Despite aspirin and copious glasses of water, I am still coughing and stuffy. I've been coughing so hard, in fact, my ribs hurt.

What a disappointing way to end a great weekend!