Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, July 22, 2002
Sweating in a Summer Wonderland

I remember those long hot summer days without air conditioning. My mother has ceiling fans now, but we relied on the floor models when I was little, roaring in the hallway and tripping everyone. I loved being out of school during the summer, but despised the heat and the sun gave me screaming headaches. Worst were the summer nights that were so humid that I slept upside down in bed to be closer to the breeze from the two windows. Luckily back then you could leave your doors open without fear of burglars and a crossdraft came through the front door and down the house to the back porch. Many nights I was still restlessly awake in the wee hours watching my dad wander from one door to the other like some wraith, looking for a breath of air.

I'm getting all sorts of flashbacks now: the A/C conked out Saturday afternoon and our repair company tells me that it will be Thursday before someone can come around. (We're apparently lucky: people sans maintenance contracts have to wait until next Monday.) They gave me scant hope that there might be a cancellation this morning, so I stayed home--mostly I needed to be here all day to determine the best place to keep Bandit and if it's okay for Willow to remain in the kitchen.

We'd left the house at noon on Saturday and almost planned to stay out until after a visit to a friend's house, which would have gotten us home around seven. Thank God we finished our errands and got home about three instead: the thought of the poor bird and dog shut up in a closed house with hot air pouring out of the vents makes me ill.