Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, June 27, 2002
Now here's something odd. I've been toying for months with the idea of creating a "favicon" for our web site. (For y'all saying "Huh?" a "favicon" is that little image that shows up to the left of your URL in the address bar if you're using Internet Explorer. Most websites just show Microslop's little IE logo, the small "swirly e" in front of a sheet of paper with a turned-down corner. But some websites have their own individual icon.) When the browsers of people surfing your website with IE don't find a favicon, the result turns up as an error when you run your website statistics (it doesn't bother your website, it just shows up as an error). I was getting a bit tired of seeing all these favicon.ico errors every time I requested my site stats.

Besides, face it, I was intrigued with the idea of having to create some type of logo in a 16x16 spot.

Creating the .ico file was problematic. I did not have any software that created an icon file and I couldn't imagine spending $30-$40 (prices of icon creators I saw advertised on the web) just to create one silly image. Then I found a British website that allowed you to create one icon for free. I did so. It wasn't very imaginative: "FD" in a white bullet. They e-mailed it to me, I uploaded it, and according to my FTP program, it sits there on the server right now.

The odd thing is that ever since I did so, all the favicons seem to have disappeared, both on my IE browser at work and the one at home! Zap2It had one, as well as CNN, and several other sites I had bookmarked, and now they're all showing up as the little IE icon. Bizarre.