Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Wednesday, June 12, 2002
In Other Blogs...

The Pet Psychic: Animal Planet has been bombarding the world with ads for this show and after a weblog comment I decided to surf by on Monday and see what the fur-or was all about. :-)

I suppose as much as I'd like to believe this lady reads animal's minds (since I would sure like to know why on earth Willow backs down from a chihuahua half her size), they don't even seem to be paying attention to her when she does this mind-reading trick. I'm probably judging from human reaction, but if the animal can understand her well enough to know what she's thinking and then answer her question, wouldn't they be intently interested in this woman? ("My God! A human who understands! Tell them to give me more bacon and steak!")

She also tells owners of deceased pets how they are in the afterlife by looking at a photo--or in the case of the one I saw, the sibling of a late guinea pig. Of course people are surprised and delighted when she gives them such an accurate reading. Wonder what kind of interviews and questions are asked before you go on this series?

Self-Checkouts at Stores: Greatest thing since sliced bread. No, I don't think of standing at a supermarket checkout line eight hours a day as my idea of the ideal job. On the other hand, if I've only five or six items and all the lines are chock-full of people doing their weekly shopping, why should I waste my time waiting?

I enthused about self-checkout to a dour-looking gentleman at Kroger a few months back and encouraged him not to wait because it was "kinda fun" and he gave me the same look the Queen's butler might have given me had I dropped a dead mouse in the ballroom in Buckingham Palace. Be like that. I prefer checking myself out to standing idle while I could be reading, interacting with my family, or cleaning house. Either there are two cashiers for 20 people, or the cashier is gabbing with the bag boy, or there I am in the 10-items-or-less lane behind some twit who can't count, or, worst of all, you wait endlessly while (1) the cashier finds someone who can tell him/her how to change the register tape, (2) the cashier attempts to correctly ring up your order because you have confused him/her with discount coupons, (3) the person ahead of you picked up an item without a price tag and they can't find someone to do a price check (I sympathize; I've been in the position and it's embarrassing and annoying), or (4) worst of all, the cashier goes on endless safari to find the key to get several cartons of cancer sticks out of the locked cage.