Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Thursday, June 06, 2002
Don’t Get a Headache Here

Among the other annoying things in life, I have allergies to many things, including various flowers and plants. (James is more succinct: “Is it green and growing outside? Then she’s allergic to it.”) My sinuses tend to stuff up at night making it hard to sleep.

I’d heard ads for these Breathe-Right nasal strips for months on TV, but when a friend (thanks, Clair!) recommended them, I figured I’d try them. I bought a small pack in case they didn’t work, but on the whole I thought they had helped. So yesterday I stopped to buy a fresh pack.

I thought I’d try Food Depot, which, if we felt like it, is in walking distance of our house, although I was almost certain I wouldn’t find them there. Food Depot is pretty much no frills, a “cost plus 10 percent” markup. Instead of the now-ubiquitous in-store pharmacy, they have a check-cashing counter. (They’re not anywhere near as “no frills” as Aldi Foods, which is a trip to walk through; even Sam’s and Costco aren’t that stark--but they are cheap!)

But boy was I surprised when I hit their health-and-beauty-aid area, two half-aisles facing each other.

No, they don’t have Breathe-Right strips. Okay. They are sort of an “exotic” item.

They have barrettes, shampoo, and conditioner, but no aspirin, Ibuprofin, Tylenol (generic or otherwise), Naproxin or Anacin. They have Kotex, but no cough medicine. There are Band-Aids, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide, but no Neosporin or Bacitracin. They have Pepto Bismol but no Pepcid-AC. There’s hair dye, hair spray, shaving cream, and deodorant, but nothing for allergies and nothing for colds. Anything that vaguely resembles a “medicine”--they don’t carry!

Man, I’ve never been in a supermarket before that didn’t at least carry aspirin! Talk about a shock.

[05/2003: a month or two ago, while paying for some items at their express checkout, which is also the service desk, I noticed where they keep the aspirin, etc.--behind the counter next to the cigarettes!]