Yet Another Journal

Nostalgia, DVDs, old movies, television, OTR, fandom, good news and bad, picks, pans,
cute budgie stories, cute terrier stories, and anything else I can think of.


 Contact me at theyoungfamily (at) earthlink (dot) net

. . . . .
. . . . .  

 
 
» Monday, May 20, 2002
If It’s Burning, This Must Be Pepper

What is this thing with pepper in everything, anyway? Pepper is a garnish! If you like food with a mild bite, you add a little pepper. If you like a larger bite, more pepper. If you don’t like the bite, you use no pepper at all. Everybody's happy.

These days the cook has always been "nice" enough to add if for you.

Lunched Friday at "the Kentucky Fried Pizza" (so called by a friend since it's one of those hybrid fast food places owned by the same big company, in this case PepsiCo, that is both a Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Hut). "The mister" likes the pot pies and recommended them.

Now, I eat frozen pot pies. They're...filling, but of course not the real thing. (I really miss the brand we had in RI, Willow Tree--the pie was all chicken meat and gravy, none of those carrots and nasty mushy peas.) So I was looking forward to a "real" pot pie, even if I know there's not really a grandmotherly type producing pot pies for "Kentucky Fred" in a spotless kitchen somewhere.

I figured the nice flaky crust meant I'd reached heaven...until I took a bite of the meat. My tongue was immediately on fire and I looked down to find the filling scattered with black pepper. I picked my way through the meat--which was not the diced, processed meat of the Banquet or Swanson pot pie, but actual chunks of chicken, which was a big plus--but really didn't enjoy it for all the pepper. If this is the norm, I guess I'm back to the frozen stuff when I want a pot pie. A shame, really.

Is no one aware there are people who cannot tolerate pepper out there? I'm not talking about just folks like me who would rather taste the food than have their tongue burning off for the entire meal, I mean folks like my mom and dad, who have/had diverticulitis. Folks with ulcers or bad digestion. Is there nothing safe any longer?--even innocuous meals such as chicken and dumplings and soup can't escape the pepper plague. Enough already!